Saturday, January 21, 2006


To Blog a Dog....

When I started up this Blog site, I vowed to myself to write at least a couple of times a week. I've been pretty diligent with it, but tonight...I guess I had writer's block. I was sitting in my chair (watching the struggling Cavs) and just looking around the room for an idea. I made eye contact with Maggie, my dog, and her ears perked up and tail starting wagging...probably hoping for a late evening walk. A few minutes went by, and I started once again perusing the room for some idea....this time, Maggie got up and put her head on my lap...looking rather pathetic for some attention. Was this the inspiration/ sign I've been looking for?

Yeah I know, pretty lame to blog a dog (hey that sounds kind of like a Dr. Seuss book, huh?) But, this animal has brought more joy to my life since we got her about 1 1/2 years ago. I convinced Cindy how the "kids" needed a dog, so we set out for the Human Society 2 summers ago...with the expectation of bringing home a 10-15 pound "lap dog". Well, we stepped inside, and were immediatly greeted by "Dog"- which was our Maggie's adopted name by the staff. Anyway, the kids and I fell in love with this dog- all 55 pounds of her...and she really has become a great part of our family. Truthfully, one of my favorite times of the day is my nightly walk with Maggie. I'm usually alloted about 10 minutes after we finish dinner before Maggie starts pacing back and forth to the front door eagerly awaiting our nightly ritual. (This also enables me to chill with my I-Pod/ tunes as we take about a mile jaunt around the neighborhood.) There is so much truth in the notion of a canine's unconditional love for its owner...I've never known an animal that is so loyal/ loving. I've told friends before that I've always believed that people come in and out of your life for some special reason...and I'm beginning to wonder if the same could hold true with animals. God knows that one of my weaknesses is showing unconditional love for people whom I am quick to dismiss as unimportant....

Well, that's it for tonight..."you know who" is nudging me again to go outside...did I mention that she has never had an accident in the house, doesn't dig/ destroy anything, and is trained to do her business in the same place in our backyard? If only kids were this easy!!!

No comments: