Sunday, January 22, 2006

A Sobering Image...

As I was taking my trash/ recyclables down to the curb tonight, I couldn't get the photo that we saw this morning at church out of my mind...the 2 liter Pepsi bottle that I was pitching was being used as a pair of shoes for some poor soul in Mozambique.

Coming home from yet another uplifting and awesome service, I began the afternoon with a short cat-nap (not that I had done anything that was overly strenuous- but Cindy and Josh were already asleep, so I figured, what the heck...) Later in the day, we took Josh to Toys R Us so that he could pick out some stuff using a gift certificate that he had gotten as a Christmas gift...(I want to meet the guy who invented the packaging of kid's toys...you know, the ones that have a million wires that you have to cut loose from the boxes and plastic coverings...what a pain in the "you-know-what"!) Once we got home, Josh and I played with his new Teen Titans, watched a little football (Geesh, do I hate when the Steelers win!), had a wonderful dinner, played guitars together- we do a mean "If You're Happy and You Know It" (although, I think it could use Dave and his wah wah machine to make it even better!) , read some stories, and am now enjoying a peaceful evening at home...

I write this because I often have wondered why I was given the life that I have...Tens of thousands of people suffer on a daily basis for want of food, clothing, and shelter, and I have just about everything that I could possibly wish for. Why me? Listening to Knute today speak about the AIDS epidemic and dire poverty in Mozambique really made me feel guilty for not just what I have been given in life...but because I tend to take it for granted- more often than what I care to admit.

My initial response, probably like a lot of other folks, is that...I'll send some money to a mission...and then I can feel better about myself. But that's the easy way out. I really hope that I can do something meaningful to help people who have so little in life...

The Chapel is launching a new program for Chiboto, Mozambique, and I am really eager to learn more about this city....and maybe do something that may bring a little comfort/ happiness to one of the families living there... even if its as simple as sending some decent shoes for their children (link for Christian Children's Fund) to wear...

No comments: