Monday, September 04, 2006



Run with endurance the race set before you Hebrews 12: 1

This was fun. The Chapel's Labor of Love Run was the first of two races that I signed up for this fall. Having taken a 10 year sabbatical from running/ races, I started running again back in May and have really been looking forward to this day. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my race. I clocked in around 46:20/ 5 mile run. My goal was an 8 minute mile, but it just didn't happen. I started out pretty well and came around the 1/2 way turn at about 21:00, but I really got tired during the 2nd loop. The downtown Akron area is fairly hilly, and this course had more than its share of uphill terrain.

For one brief moment in time, I really felt good about my time because I finished alongside a buddy of mine (an avid runner) whom I play with in the Chapel Praise Band...however, I was quickly humbled because alongside of him was his daughter and what looked to be a 25 or 30 pound heavy duty racer stroller- both of which/ whom he had pushed for the entire 5 miles! Unbelievable! Let's just say that he's a tad bit better of an athlete than I am...or probably will ever become! Great race, Daniel!

The real story of the day centered around a young lady who has battled cerebral palsy her entire life. She was determined though to finish this race- walker in hand. You want to talk about inspiration! God bless her.

Next up...the Akron Relay Marathon with Maureen, Emily, Dave, and our fearless leader...Kenton. Gotta go run...like to the couch. My legs are killin' me, and a nap sounds great right now.

No comments: