Saturday, September 30, 2006


Akron Marathon


Quite simply, this race experience was phenomenal. Waking this morning, I was a bit nervous about running the 5th leg (7 1/2 miles). The hardest part about the race, though, was simply waiting around until it was my turn to take the snap bracelet and begin my portion of the run. It was pretty cold this morning with a light drizzle, but once I started the run, the weather didn't bother me at all- it actually was perfect.

Our team (Emily, Maureen, Dave, Tony, and I) finished at 4 hours, 13 minutes, 54 seconds. That put us at #466 out of 663 relay teams. Not too bad, in my humble opinion. We finished a couple of minutes behind our beloved pastor and his team, but we'll get him next year for sure!

My race leg began up on Revere Road by Fairlawn Country Club and then proceeded to Firestone High School, Stan Hewett, Highland Square, and then down Market Street to Canal Park. For me, it was a real emotional high running through the ball park and past what looked to be a couple of thousand fans cheering us all on. It was awesome!

I really felt as if I could have run a few more miles, so I'm going to train this winter for the Cleveland Marathon in May and aim for running 1/2 a marathon- all 13 1/2 miles of it. Tonight, though- no thought of running- I've got a date with the TV and my beloved Buckeyes!

No comments: