Monday, March 06, 2006

Lesson Learned...

Cindy and I are about two weeks away from "baby-day"...and I have every intention of learning from my prior experience with Josh to do things a bit differently this time around...
  1. Bring an Alaskan parka...I absolutely froze to death in the hospital- which is incredibly ironic because Cindy is the one who is always cold, but evidently delivery tends to warm you up a bit...who'd thunk?
  2. Grab some food before checking in the hospital...I remember after they gave Cindy the epidural that she was not permitted to eat anything...I, however, was not given the same instructions. Trust me when I tell you that it's not wise to try and inconspicuously eat a deli sandwich while your poor wife is munching on ice chips and going through labor pains
  3. Take off my rings...I still have indentations in my ring finger from when Cindy was grabbing on a few times.
  4. Don't complain about the uncomfortable chairs in the delivery room- didn't go over well at all!
  5. Hold off on taking pictures until after the baby is born. I thought it would be nice to have memories of the entire episode from beginning to end...Cindy, however, wasn't feeling overly photogenic...there were a few times when I thought she might jump out of bed and toss the camera out the window.
  6. Cherish every moment. Going through an experience like this with the one you love is simply indescribable...absolutely one of the greatest blessings that we are given in life!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got a great handle on things this time Rob!! Third one's a charm I guess!! I didn't go for the charm - my second was most "charming" - didn't think I could live through another like her!! After being a Labor and Delivery nurse for 9 1/2 years I would say you are prepared for this one! Only piece of advice - give Cindy your first two fingers to squeeze and no harm is done to the ring finger! I learned that over the years after I felt like my hand was crushed or unable to be moved out of crunch position!!!
I'll be praying for all of you!! Good times are ahead!!!

Rob Eubank said...

Being a nurse, I'll share this one with you...I just got home from the hospital...they're keeping Cindy overnight to monitor her contractions. Anyway, don't you think with all of man's modern technology someone would be able to invent some kind of device to measure a woman's cervex other than the way they do it in the hospital...this is definitely not one of Cindy's highlights in the whole delivery scene. Times like this that I'm cool with being a guy!

Anonymous said...

I agree! Where's technology when you think it should be there! Sometimes things don't change over time - like a baby with a mind of it's own or the barbaric cervical exam. You really don't want to know how they used to check cervical dilation before the "modern" way - it was way worse!! I hope Cindy is doing OK today! It's so frustrating to be so close! and yet seem so far away!! We'll keep you in our prayers!!