Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Dirty Blog

Ouch, ouch, ouch...I don't think I've ever been this sore. Have any idea how much 8 yards of dirt is? Well, I didn't. What started out as just a few little jobs around the house ended up- just about 1/2 hour ago- as some major landscaping adjustments to my yard...all because I ordered enough top soil to re-sod the Indian's infield.
We had a couple of trees taken down in our front yard (one was dead, and the other one was a gum tree that covered our cars and house with tons of sap. Not to mention, it dropped these annoying little gum-nut seeds that were a royal pain to pick up each week. That said, they're both gone. So, we needed some soil to fill in the holes, which made only a minor dent in the mound of dirt that was deposited in my driveway on Friday. On to project #2...
We have a small patch of land- also out front- that has never been level, and the roots of the tree were pretty much exposed. So, I figured that we could use some of the dirt to level that area out. At this point, I'm guessing I've used about 25% of my dirt. On to project #3...
.
We have an awesome maple tree in the backyard that provides us with tons of shade. I built Josh's swing set underneath it a couple of years ago, but here again...the grass had never really grown that well. So, I threw a good couple of inches of dirt in an area around 10' x 10'. "The pile" is about 1/2 the size at this time. On to project #4....
I never liked the location where I planted a vegetable garden when we moved into the house back in 2000 primarily because it's at the very back of our lot and it's a royal pain to water it during the dry summer days. So, I thought this would be an opportune time to build a new one that was much closer to the water spicket. I think tearing up sod is about my least favorite activity in life. I'm guessing that there's an easier way to do it than hacking away with a garden hoe, but that seemed to be the most efficient tool that I had in the garage to use.
.
I quit around 7:30 tonight, and I don't think that there's a single part of my body that isn't aching...I got sunburn to boot! Josh actually was a big help. I offered to give him a little bit of allowance, but he told me that he'd rather have a gift card! Go figure. But, no serious griping because the weather we had this weekend was simply outstanding...Wasn't it just snowing less than two weeks ago for the home opener? Oh, by the way...there's still dirt in my driveway. UGH!




No comments: