Friday, October 20, 2006


Thanks Brad!

Funny...but the last time I remember teaching the Iliad to high school kids (4 years ago?), I remember it being a rather tough sell. Regardless of the translation, this epic tale never really appealed to 17 year olds and usually presented itself to be a rather challenging read. Enter Brad and Orlando.

I started the Greek literature unit with my kids this week, and I was initially pleasantly surprised at the interest level in the storyline of the Trojan War, especially the roles of the famous Greek hoplite, Achilles, and one of his Trojan adversaries, Paris. Naively thinking that it may have been my stirring introductory lecture on this topic, I was soon reminded by the young ladies in my class that Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom, who played the roles of Achilles and Paris in the 2004 Warner Brothers film Troy, are both quite "fine" and are definitely some serious eye candy.

As we prodded through the class notes on epic conventions, the notion of divine causality, Paris' abduction of Helen, the 10 year war between the Greeks and Trojans, and the ultimate battle between Achilles and Hector, all I kept hearing from the kids was how this scene and that scene was portrayed in Brad and Orlando's film. I would attempt to discuss something about Homer (you know, the dude who wrote this thing...) or the Mycenaean culture, and all the kids wanted to talk about was why Brad dumped Jennifer Aniston for Angelina Jolie- UGH!

I guess, though, that it doesn't hurt having these Hollywood "babes" in your corner to entice the kids to want to read this piece of world literature...although, I don't think they're that good looking!

No comments: