Friday, October 27, 2006


Akeelah and the Bee

This is simply a great movie! Marie got this DVD for her birthday and has been bugging me to watch it with her for the last couple of weeks. So tonight, we sat down and watched it...and I was hooked. This is one of those films that you need to sit on the couch next to your kids and simply experience the story/ message together as a family.

Essentially, the film is about an 11-year-old girl from South Los Angeles, who shows a knack for spelling. Despite the initial objections of her mother, Akeelah is tutored for the upcoming spelling bee season by a Dr. Larabee; her principal; and the residents of her neighborhood. Akeelah's aptitude earns her an opportunity to compete for a spot in the Scripps National Spelling Bee. I won't give the ending away, but Akkelah, through her perseverance, is simply a "winner"- in more ways than one.

With Marie having seen this a couple of times already, she went to bed about 1/2 way through the film (we didn't start the film until 9:30), but I was so captivated by the storyline and acting that I finished watching this one by myself...and loved every minute of it. Marie has always had a penchant with spelling...she was the reigning 5th grade champion, and I've got to believe that she wanted me to watch this film to remind me of her accomplishments from last year.

Rent the film, watch it with your family, and enjoy!

No comments: