Saturday, October 14, 2006


No need for trumpets...

I've always been a big fan of Terry Pluto...not only do I think he's an extraordinary sports columnist, but I especially admire his perspectives on faith/ Christian living as he writes his weekly spiritual column in the Akron Beacon Journal. His article today in the ABJ was one that simply made me stop in my tracks and say, "Wow..am I guilty of that!" In a nutshell, his contention is that while living our lives, Christian charity should be an extremely important part of our lives-without the fanfare. I guess that it's just human nature to want to receive some kind of recognition when we accomplish something of significance, but Pluto contends how greater the reward would be for all of us if we simply did things out out of habit than always wanting something in return. I couldn't help but try to think of the last time that I performed some kind of charitable act anonymously...I shamefully admit that it's been longer than I care to admit.

Pluto quotes a Christian author who claims that Christian maturity means that we don't need to congratulate ourselves because we've gotten something right...We've come to see that giving really is better than receiving, it no longer looks extraordinary to us -- it just looks sane.

Blogging about what I should do to address this issue would obviously be a blatant act of hypocrisy...But Pluto has certainly made me realize that this is not the time nor place to receive a reward for being a good person...instead, we should all look to the day when we get a pat on our backs from the One- who matters the most.

No comments: