Saturday, April 08, 2006


A Superhero

If you were to ask my son to name a superhero, his response undoubtedly would be either Spiderman, Batman, or Mr. Incredible. Evidently, the criteria of superhero, in the eyes of a four year old, requires a spiffy nylon suit, a sleek cape, and some cool gadgets- like a bat belt. Superheroes fight the bad guys and help people in trouble...so says Josh.

If there is one value that I truly want to pass on to all my kids, it's the ability to recognize true Christian heroism and to live out their lives emulating the real "superheroes".

So how do I respond when my kids ask me, "who are the heroes?"... Well, if you read the front page of the Beacon Journal today about the Minick family and their little Kelsey (an adopted crippled child who came from an abusive family)- that's Christian heroism. Folks from the church who donated an entire week of their own time and traveled down south to help the hurricane victims rebuild their homes...that's Christian heroism. Couples who serve as foster parents for children who are in need of homes and parental role models- that's Christian heroism. Our kids at Hoban who raised over $20,000 in just two weeks for some schools in 3rd world countries- that's Christian heroism. These are the people whom I want my own children to look upon as their superheroes. Yeah, these heroes don't have the cool, flashy suits/ capes, but their actions are truly heroic and extremely commendable.

No comments: