Saturday, June 23, 2007

The 6 Year-Old Rock Star



So I had been asking the little guy for the past few weeks what he would like for his 6th birthday. Interestingly, Josh didn't really have any one thing in mind- just the usual pre-k kid toys- action figures, water guns, Lego's, etc...The only thing he had asked for was a birthday party at none other than Chuckie Cheese w/ all his mates from school.



A few days ago, however, I took Sarah and Josh on a few errands including a trip to Guitar Center to pick up some new strings. Josh spotted this junior electric almost immediately and quickly put together a pretty convincing argument that this is what he would like for his birthday this year. At the risk of not really checking with mom for the ok...we made a quick dash to the car, with Josh's new instrument in hand.



So far, I'm pretty impressed with his technique and enthusiasm for learning. I'm planning on working with him for a year or so, and then I think I'll sign him up for some real lessons. In a shameless attempt to stroke my own fragile ego, I asked him if he wanted to learn to play someday like his old man...to which he replied, "No, I want to rock like Dave" (our electric guitar guy from church)...grumble, grumble...

No comments: