Monday, August 21, 2006

Die-hard Tribe Fans

This has been a trying summer for Indian's baseball. I would have been a very rich man if I had bet the house on the fact that the Indians' would have a kid by the name of Shin Soo Choo starting in the outfield...who'd of thunk?

Marie and Josh still have a few precious summer days left before they start back, but good ole' Hoban (in its infamous wisdom) began last Thursday. So far, so good.

I'm actually pretty excited about this upcoming school year because my principal slated me to teach a course that I truly love- World Literature. I was told back in the spring that I would be given a freshman English section, but over the summer- as enrollment sky-rocketed to over 900 students- they needed someone to fill this course. When I've taught this in the past, I've always organized the class chronologically. We'll start off with the concept of origin myths (specifically the Osiris and Isis myth) and then move to the oldest piece of literature recorded to date- The Epic of Gilgamesh. From there, we'll move into the Tanakh (Hebrew Bible), the
New Testament, Ancient Greeks (Homer and Sophocles) and then plunge into the great masterpieces of the Middle Ages, including Dante's classic- The Inferno and Boccaccio's Decameron. And that's just the first semester! I'm not sure if the kids share the same excitement (yet), but hopefully they'll get into the lit as we progress through the year.

Josh headed off to Marietta last night to spend his last days of summer with his grandparents. With Marie being with her mom's till Wed., the house definitely seems a bit empty. I think Cindy is already missing the little guy- and it does seem really odd not having a five year old following you around constantly talking about....everything under the sun! Cindy and I enjoyed a campfire last night with Ms. Sarah and tonight we're going out to dinner ....and we may actually be able to stay and dine longer than 30 minutes!

The race training is going well. I'm up to about 4 1/2 miles at a time, and I no longer feel like I've just been run over by a semi after completing a run. I'm running the 5 mile Labor of Love run in a couple of weeks, and then the Akron marathon is scheduled at the end of the month.

2 comments:

emily said...

Can I take your World Lit class? It sounds great! I recently purchased a copy of the Tanakh—in the Jewish Study Bible—I'm really enjoying it!

Do you recall the episode of Star Trek: TNG that refers to the Gilgamesh Epic? Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra.

Rob Eubank said...

Would you believe that I've never sat down and watched an entire episode of Star Trek...is that un-American? For whatever reason, I just never got into that TV show...but I would love to see the Gilgamesh episode! As for my class, you can come in and be a guest speaker anytime you want!