Friday, July 21, 2006

Hey Robby!

Now I don't recall introducing myself to my neighbor as Robby, but this is the greeting, along with a real friendly smile, I recieve each time I see him outside. More than once, my next door neighbor has told me how much he loves living here in Barberton. Now I too am pretty content here as well, but I don't exude the same amount of enthusiasm for my home as my neighbor, Dra'gon. He's constantly outside either doing some odd jobs or working in his garden, which is about 5 times the size of mine! About a week ago, while getting ready to cut the grass, we struck up a conversation. (which we don't often do primarily because of the language barrier) After a friendly exchange of the "how are ya" type of talk, Dra'gon told me his story...

About 9 years ago, he and his wife had a beautiful home in Croatia right off the coast of the Adriatic Sea- a home which he had built himself and had intended to raise his children in one day. One evening, though, a militia group came and ordered him to enlist or face imprisonment. (a civil war was developing in the country) Well, Dra'gon, his wife, and extended family all escaped that very night...leaving their homes and all possessions behind. They were able to secure passage here to America and eventually ended up buying the home next to mine.

Dra'gon's four year-old son, Goren, has become Josh's best buddy. They play together almost daily, and it is really uncanny how well they get along. I've kidded Cindy a few times that it is because they can't converse with each other extremely well, so they haven't learned the fine art of arguing yet. His daughter, Kristina (age 7) , is simply a doll.

Anyway, not only are they great neighbors, but the whole family has made me realize just how fortunate I have been in life. I cannot fathom what it would have been like to endure trauma like what they went through, not to mention trying to assimilate yourself into a foreign culture/ learn a new language at age 40 would be most challenging. Here's a guy, though, with an incredible amount of fortitude- and a sincere love for his home in good ole' Barberton.

No comments: