Monday, September 03, 2007

Run with endurance the race set before you (Hebrew 12:1)

.
Well, the little guy crossed the finish line like a true champion this morning. He has been so excited the past couple of weeks to run the first mile of the Labor of Love Race with me this morning. After about 1/2 mile or so, he told me that his legs were beginning to hurt a little. So, I thought I'd try to strike up a conversation with him to keep his mind off his cramps. I talked to him about school, his sisters, his neighborhood friends until he finally looked up - still running in stride mind you- and told me that I was making it difficult on him to concentrate by talking too much. EXCUUUUSE ME!

With about 2 tenths of a mile left, I pointed out the finish line to him. A huge grin came across his face as he then knew that he was going to be able to finish without having to stop at all for a break. Before I knew it, the little dude took off and sprinted towards the finish line. I'm thinking to myself, "Hey, I got 5 more miles to run here buddy...this isn't the time to run a 200 yard sprint!" Sure enough, he crossed over the line first, and then looked back at me to ask if "I was going to make it..." What a pal.

1 comment:

Brian Megilligan said...

I ran that race before, the five mile version--twice.

I'm not sure to this day just what compelled me to do that.

Good for you guys for doing it together!