Sunday, September 23, 2007

Alyssa's Hike for the Hearts

All I could think of this Saturday morning was that I was able to hold tight to my son's hand while we made the two mile trek for Alyssa's Hike, and the Calloway family would have to wait a lifetime to touch the hand of their little girl. As we passed the various hike markers along the path, I talked to Josh about little Alyssa, and the terrible disease that attacked her heart and as a result shortened her life. All Josh could say in response was, "that's not fair!" And you know what, it isn't. Parents shouldn't have to bury their children, and I fear that something like this would simply break my faith...I can't imagine a day that would go by without me being able to laugh and play with my kids. They are my life, and I love them with all my heart.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart, is usually caused by a viral infection. Diagnosis and treatment of mycocarditis has been slow to develop. Alyssa Ann Calaway was a victim of this terrible disease, and this hike is an attempt to raise awareness and money to hopefully find a cure. Josh and I thank all of you who so generously donated to this cause.

"It's September again- it marks the 5th anniversary of Alyssa's death. I don't get to go school shopping with Lys, or talk about what it means to be a Jr. Higher, or ever sit up with her the night before with nervous jitters- she's not here...I'm homesick for my girl. I long to hold her close, smell her hair, hear her laugh, or see her dance. I can't wait until That day- when our family is complete again and she meets her little sister for the first time and reunites with her brother. Her Daddy and I can finally cradle her in our arms again."

-Sarah Calaway (Alyssa's mom)

No comments: