Sunday, February 12, 2006


The Karate Kid

I'm not sure who enjoyed karate class more...Josh or me. Cindy and I signed him up for the classes that are offered at the Chapel. Josh had been really anxious all week leading up to Saturday morning, and I don't think he was disappointed at all. His instructor, who I think has the patience of Job, is just awesome with the kids. There's about 10 four and five year olds in the class, and each one of them asked at least 1/2 dozen questions...in the first 10 minutes of class! My favorite one came from a little girl who was envious of the teacher's "black belt" and was all set to trade hers in for one! Between the "I need to go potty", "I can't do that!", and "When are we going to learn to punch?"...the kids had a solid lesson centered on self discipline, karate etiquette, and a few basic moves/ stances...I just love hearing Josh's barbaric yawp (good ole' Walt Whitman) of "Aiy" and "Yes Sir!"

I've always been intriqued by this sport, and I'm really excited to watch Josh as he progresses through these classes. His teacher informed us that not only does he intend to teach the kids the physical skills but also the character building that goes along with this martial arts craft. I was impressed that he ended the first lesson with a little talk on love and gave the kids a bible verse to memorize by next week...1Cor 13:13. We're suppose to help Josh devise a weekly goal to help him with this concept...so I told him that he could show his love by not karate chopping either me or the dog!!!

3 comments:

Brian Megilligan said...

Wax on....wax off.

Rob Eubank said...

Funny...we just watched this film the other day...I remember when I first saw this one (I think I was 18 or 19) that I always thought Elisabeth Shue (Ralph Macchio's girlfriend in the film) was a hottie. I think I even had a poster of her in my bedroom... Geez, I'm getting old!

Brian Megilligan said...

She went from being Ralph's girl friend to Michael J Fox's girl friend, and then she left las vegas, right? I'm sure she had a few stops in between....

I didn't know that was her in Karate Kid but I remember having a crush on her too.