Monday, November 26, 2007


A Traditional Thanksgiving

Well, not exactly. We checked into the Kalahari Wednesday morning around 11:00, and stayed through Friday afternoon. The entire resort is undergoing a major addition which will eventually double the size of the water park. Still, the kids had a fantastic time, and were pretty much water-logged by the end of each day. Even little Sarah got in on the action as she was able to play in the toddler water-slide/ swing section as well as accompany me on the lazy river…well, at least until Wednesday evening.

Coming out of the hot-tub with my son, I lost my footing and in the process sliced my foot on the ceramic tile. Not very graceful, mind you. Anyway, I didn't even realize what I had done until I had started walking towards the locker rooms and heard my son scream. What must have appeared like a really bad scene in a low budget horror flick, I looked down only to see my entire foot covered in blood. Long story short, I went to the first aid station and got the thing bandaged up. They told me that I should probably go to the nearest hospital for stitches, but spending the eve of Thanksgiving in an emergency room did not appeal to me all that much. I figured I’d go on Friday when we got back to town. (Note: after a 24 hour period, one usually can’t get stitches due to the risk of infection…as I found out on Friday at the Urgent Care in Green)

Thankfully, Marie was with us so Josh was able to hang with his big sis the rest of the weekend while Cindy and I resided in the kiddie area with Sarah- with my aching foot well out of reach from any water.

The original game plan was to go out to eat on Thursday, but our room was equipped with a full kitchen and dining room table. So- God love Wal-Mart- Thursday morning I made a quick trip to the store to buy a turkey and all the trimmings so that we could cook inside. Since Sarah is still taking naps (and is not all that keen on dining out these days), it worked out perfectly. She slept, and I cooked and watched a good portion of the Lions game while Cindy, Josh, and Marie enjoyed the park. I often thought what kind of pathetic person would actually go grocery shopping for EVERYTHING on Thanksgiving morning…you’re looking at him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your foot, Rob and hope it is healing well! I made a trip to the first aid station when we were there. My mouth was hit so hard in the lazy river that my first thought was to look for my teeth that I assumed were floating nearby after I was hit... which ended up not being the case but sure did feel like it! The big hole in my lip and blood stained face was surely a delight for all to see!
Sounds like you all had a great time! It is a great place- despite the potential for cuts and bumps!

Dena