Friday, March 02, 2007


I tell my kids- Hoban kids- that catharsis is a theatrical term used to explain the emotions that a theatre audience releases while witnessing a tragedy. It can be an extremely complex array of feelings that a person encounters while watching a tragic hero inch ever so closer to their demise. That said, I could never empathize with this idea simply because I had never experienced this feeling...until today.

We took the Hoban juniors to a small theatre in Hudson to watch Arthur Miller's classic, Death of a Salesman. I've probably read/ taught this play at least 10 different times; not to mention, I am a huge fan of Dustin Hoffman's cinematic production. Needless to say, I had prepared myself for what I thought would be a mediocre performance at best.

From the opening curtain to the very end...the entire cast had just about every single person in the house captivated by their acting/ depictions of Miller's discombobulated family- Willy, Linda, Biff, and Happy. All these characters miserably strive to fulfill the American Dream, and all but one (Biff) fail to realize their limitations in life. Willy, being the worst offender, goes so far as to take his life in the false perception that his life insurance money would bring some sort of comfort and happiness to his wife and children. The play definitely does not include a "and they lived happily ever after" type of ending.

This play has also always appealed to me simply because my father is also a traveling salesman...a businessman full of pride; a father who tried to do everything in his power to provide for his family; and a guiding parental figure who pushed his kids to "reach for the sky" and become a smashing success in life. Like the character of Willy Loman, Dad has always lived his entire life in pursuit of the American Dream and to play the role of a man whom people would pronounce that...and I quote Miller..."attention must be paid!" (out of absolute respect) In my humble opinion, my dad has achieved this noble quest.


If you've never read the play, do yourself a favor and take a look...it's simply a great read.

No comments: